International Butterfly Breeders Association, Inc.
About the IBBA
The IBBA is an international, non-profit, membership-based trade association promoting high standards of ethics, competence and professionalism in the breeding of quality Lepidoptera for all purposes. We accomplish this through research, grower education, market development, and habitat conservation and restoration.
You can read about the early history of the IBBA HERE.
The IBBA's Certificate of Incorporation was filed in the office of the Secretary of State of the State of Delaware on October 5, 1998. A copy of the Certificate of Incorporation can be seen HERE.
IBBA is an IRC 501(c)(6) Organization. Read about IRC 501(c)(6) HERE.
Exemption Letter, Recognition of Tax Status
When purchasing butterflies from a member of the International Butterfly Breeder's Association displaying the official IBBA seal on their website or other information, you are assured that the butterflies you receive will be:
- hand raised and not wild caught;
- shipped with proper permits and according to USDA regulations;
- raised in sterilized staging areas using detection methods to minimize or eliminate disease and produce high quality livestock;
- selected for freshness and vibrant health, and packaged and shipped using methods and care to ensure live delivery;
- raised by breeders that have committed to ethical and honest practices in dealing with the general public and other breeders.
Click on a picture to see it full-size
Using a microscope to search for signs of illness in livestock
Collecting scales using clear tape to examine under microscope for presence of Oe protozoan spores
the above photographs were supplied by Terry Terbush of The Monarchy Butterrfly Farm
Ophrycystis elektroscirrha protozoan (on scales) -
prevented by strict sterilization programs and elimination
of affected stockPhoto by kind permission of
Please plant milkweed and butterfly plants wherever you can!